Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: confusion with some of the life paths.

Default confusion with some of the life paths.

So, a lot of the life paths are very generic, straight forward settings, like noble, or peasant. But others I just have no idea on.

I have no idea what Dwarven Host, Elven Etharch, and orc chattel, are supposed to be, can anyone clarify this for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Morbis View Post
    I have no idea what Dwarven Host, Elven Etharch, and orc chattel, are supposed to be, can anyone clarify this for me?
    The Host is the Dwarven army, the greatest fighting force in the world, boy-o, and don't you forget it. Elven Etharch are basically the leaders of the Elven Community, the nobility and politicos if you will. Chattel are just that, the lowest rung of Orc society, slaves, but the Orcs are a progressive people and allow caste mobility.

Quote Originally Posted by Durand Durand View Post
    The Host is the Dwarven army, the greatest fighting force in the world, boy-o, and don't you forget it. Elven Etharch are basically the leaders of the Elven Community, the nobility and politicos if you will. Chattel are just that, the lowest rung of Orc society, slaves, but the Orcs are a progressive people and allow caste mobility.
    Etharchs are specifically the aristocracy, actually. You'll notice that the citadel setting has its own politicos (the Althing). Note also the distinction between the Etharch-setting Sword Singer (required trait: Fealty to the Fea) and the Protector-setting one (Sword of the White Towers).
    -Devin

Quote Originally Posted by zabieru View Post
    Etharchs are specifically the aristocracy, actually. You'll notice that the citadel setting has its own politicos (the Althing). Note also the distinction between the Etharch-setting Sword Singer (required trait: Fealty to the Fea) and the Protector-setting one (Sword of the White Towers).
    Ah, so they have a Lords assembly, and a public assembly, and soldiers loyal to either [or both!. Sounds like Elvses are more fun that I might have considered. It sounds vaguely like the political set-up in France in Scaramouche.

I'm pretty sure Althings need to be Born Etharch, too. Etharchs are nobility. Common rule? How quaint.
    Also: ninjas.

Quote Originally Posted by stormsweeper View Post
    I'm pretty sure Althings need to be Born Etharch, too. Etharchs are nobility. Common rule? How quaint.
    Doesn't suggest that in the character burner. You can even qualify for it with wilder elf lifepaths like Patriarch/Matriarch.

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Volante View Post
    Doesn't suggest that in the character burner. You can even qualify for it with wilder elf lifepaths like Patriarch/Matriarch.
    Ah, you're right. I tend to think of Elrond when I think Althing.
    Also: ninjas.

Etharch = Galadriel or Gil-Galad

Althing = Elrond (although it's not quite that straightforward in BW, since Elrond is the son of a man with elven heritage and a half-elven lady).

Essentially, though, the Etharchs are the equivalent of elven kings and queens. Althings are the lords chosen to rule an elven city (or citadel).

The Dwarven Host, as has been pointed out, is the dwarven military.

Orc Chattel are, well, chattel. They're the slave class.

I corner him and stab him in the face!

The skills and traits within the LP should also give you an idea of the what it is supposed to be.
    The thoughts and opinions reflected in my posts are not necessarily those of The Burning Wheel. If I am not quoting exact text and giving you a page for reference, please add "I BELIEVE" to the beginning of every single sentence I ever write ever.

Google+

I'd like to jump in this post and ask about Servants of the Secret Blood. I thought I knew what they were but sometimes I wonder. Are they orc clerics with magical powers? Orc sorcerers whose powers derive from a dark god (thus kind of making them clerics)? Batshit spider-riders with magic? What? There is lot in this sub-setting.

It might clear things up by asking: How do the orcish chattel and great and black clans view the dreaded Servants? What's their take?
    "Contemplate this on the tree of woe."