Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BWR PDF?

Default BWR PDF?

Luke's post announcing the end of BWR implies that there won't be a PDF release of the Revised edition. I had always heard that the PDF release would happen after the hardcopies went out of print, and wished it were sooner. I hope it hasn't been cancelled!

This is me, for one, requesting an electronic release of the line for convenient reference. Please allow me to give you my money.

BWR will sadly not be released in PDF form. I'm still traumatized by the 10 copies of the BWC PDF I sold that propagated onto every server in the known universe. I cannot be a party to such a crime!
    "Athos—Porthos, farewell till we meet again! Aramis, adieu forever!"
    --D'Artagnan

Check out my latest project:

At the risk of being snarky, you're afraid people might take it without paying, so you won't let anyone pay for it?

I mean, at this point, it would be kind of difficult to lose sales over it, it seems like.

I just want to be able to play your game and not have to carry five paperbacks around and not hold them open while I look at tables! Being able to use my tablet to display tables while doing lifepath work would be so sublime, it would be magical.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
    I just want to be able to play your game and not have to carry five paperbacks around and not hold them open while I look at tables! Being able to use my tablet to display tables while doing lifepath work would be so sublime, it would be magical.
    You sir are playing the wrong game!
    "Athos—Porthos, farewell till we meet again! Aramis, adieu forever!"
    --D'Artagnan

Check out my latest project:

At the risk of being snarky, you're afraid people might take it without paying, so you won't let anyone pay for it?

I mean, at this point, it would be kind of difficult to lose sales over it, it seems like.
    Think, Watson! This is rudimentary! Well within your God-given capabilities, man.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    You sir are playing the wrong game!
    As you like. I bought everything for Burning Wheel Revised, but if you're going to let personal dislike of e-formats prevent you from selling them, I'll pass on your next iteration of the system. It's a shame that someone who's such a gifted designer is going to be derailed by something so childish.

Childish is passing on the next iteration of the system because Luke is not selling PDFs of BWR.

The Lifepath chapters are available to purchase as a PDF, last I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    Childish is passing on the next iteration of the system because Luke is not selling PDFs of BWR.
    I don't have to buy things I don't want to, and I don't want to buy products that don't have an electronic version now that it's The Future. I guess Mr. Crane doesn't have to release products he doesn't want to, either, so we both get to be dissatisfied. Maybe we can have a Mutually Exclusive Expectations party, I dunno.

Why would he be dissatisfied by doing what he wants with his game?

I mean honestly, I'm no saint when it comes to "liberating" data -- there was a brief stint in college where it's all I did because I was a poor schlub with no income. Now that I've matured a bit and have income, I buy everything. But there are a lot, and I mean, a LOT of self-entitled dudes out there who just don't care. PC gaming is my main hobby and some of the logical loop-de-loops the "pirates" do in debates to try to justify not paying a creator for their work is insane. If Mr. Crane wants to keep his game out of their hands -- or at least make it harder to distribute (I checked the torrent and it was something like over 1 gig, which is insane even for a scan) -- then that's his prerogative.

Yes, it's The Future. But remember that The Future still has dicks, and sometimes technology makes it easier to be dicks. Creator/publisher control over how data/media is distributed is the only control method, and so far PDFs don't have any practical digital protection. Even if you won't buy his next game, at least try to empathize a bit with his situation.

Also, to lighten what is already an overly serious response:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/3/9/