Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Burning Wheel Gold Errors and Changes

Default Burning Wheel Gold Errors and Changes

I was comparing the BWG preview PDF with my BWR books to see what had changed, and I decided to make a list to help others adjust to the new system. I also wrote down any errors I saw so that Luke could be aware of them for later printings. I didn't note any changes that seemed to be made for clarity alone (like the switching of the order for describing task and intent). If anyone noticed any other changes, please feel free to add them.

Errors
    p. 15 The text says dark gray is hard and light gray is easy, but the colors are reversed on the chart.
    p. 66 Fate - Perception is mentoned as a skill that is already open-ended.

Differences
    p. 16 Perception is no longer open-ended.
    p. 26 Open tests have now been relabeld as Graduated tests, presumably to differentiate Open tests from Open-ended rolls.
    p. 32 Let It Ride no longer tells players that they can call the GM on cheating if he asks for multiple rolls of the same stat or skill.
    p. 41 Ob 2 Tests are no longer difficult for 3D rolls (they are routine instead).
    p. 59 Evolving Beliefs or Instincts is only described on this page and is not mentioned in the Artha chapter (as it was on p.71 of BWR).

P.S. I'm not sure if this is the proper forum since BWG doesn't have it's own forum yet.

Keep up the good work! This is very useful.
    Michael Prescott - I'm making free adventures!

I've been eagerly reading through my Gold book and trying to see what's changed, so I'll throw in a few things here. Range and cover has changed totally - new actions, actions do different things than before, new charts. Fight! has changed everything to do with positioning and added new rules and charts along with that, but the one thing I noticed there that doesn't have to do with positioning is that the penalty for being Locked now applies to attempts to escape the Lock, which used to be unpenalized. Escaping also tests different stats than before. The list of armor types has changed. There are some newer, more comprehensive charts for injury treatment. Resources and circles may have changed, but I never had all the extra details of those systems committed to memory, so I didn't detect any changes. That's as far as I've gotten so far.
    -Jim

Sorcery Spells need to be double checked.

Resource point costs aren't aligned respect the cost guidelines on page 205. Some of the Obs were changed but without the Resource Points being updated, e.g., Bilious Smoke is Ob 5 but 24 rps. Some spells with Stats as Obs are wrong, e.g. Dog's Ear targets Perception and should be 10 but costs 12 rps, and Emperor's Hand is Forte^ and should be 20 but costs 12 rps.

Some spells are marked as up / ^ but don't mention how extra successes can be spent. Does this mean extra success can only be spent on the Die of Fate (up to three as mentioned on page 506)? Or can Area of Effect be expanded as well? This includes a bunch of the attack/Destroy spells: Fire Breath, Fire Fan, Havoc's Hand, Rain of Fire, Spark Shower, Storm of Lightning, White Fire.

Some spells are now a single action but are listed as "1 Actions": Shards, Spark Shower.

Quote Originally Posted by okeefe View Post
    [Sorcery] Resource point costs aren't aligned respect the cost guidelines on page 205.
    I didn't get the impression they were supposed to be.. I imagine some of the costs were tweaked manually, with an understanding of the usefulness or PITA factor of the spell.
    Michael Prescott - I'm making free adventures!

The Ranger lifepath (p 136) has Gray (with an A) Mantle trait, but it's Grey (with an E) Mantle in the trait list and index.

Exorcism looks a little messed up. The Exorcist lifepath (p 186) mentions Exorcist Ritual as a training skill, but there is no such skill. There is, however, an Exorcism Ritualist trait (p 324) that looks on the money, but it isn't referenced in any LP (quick scan) and Exorcist should probably have it.

Noblesse Oblige (p 337) has a trailing asterisk for no apparent reason.
    Last edited by okeefe; 09-10-2011 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Add note about Noblesse Oblige

Horse Stride is claimed to be 13 in Range and Cover (p 407) and Fight (p 430) but 12 everywhere else (p 530, p 540).
    Last edited by okeefe; 09-12-2011 at 11:23 PM.

The last five words on page 416 overlap with the page border art.

Of the five times Dro's name appears on page 2, it is misspelled "Frozdalski" once.

Quote Originally Posted by okeefe View Post
    Of the five times Dro's name appears on page 2, it is misspelled "Frozdalski" once.
    Don't say that three times while looking into a mirror.
    Also: ninjas.