Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ballad of Hal Whitewyrm, about a play-by-post game in progress

Default The Ballad of Hal Whitewyrm, about a play-by-post game in progress

"Judd, another game set in the Forgotten Realms? Really?"

Daniel posted this character concept from junior high and I've been thinking about play-by-post and how it might be more workable in a one-on-one format...a blog post about it.

His character's beliefs:

• Freedom, Love and Family are the only things worth fighting for.
    • I will seek and destroy Xeraz of Zhentil Keep; not even Bane (the God of Murder) will stop me.
    • I will find my father and reclaim my elven ancestry.

Instincts:
    • I always carry my mother's flute with me.
    • If Nasharel is threatened, I protect her with my life.
    • Never suffer an insult to my dual heritage.

Here's the thread in which we play. That isn't a story based on the game, that is us playing on a forum. The pace is glacial but that has its advantages too. We can look up rules and take our time, though I wonder how scripting is going to shake out. We'll see, might do that over IM or something.

Its kinda neat. You can see me blatantly hammer on his belief about Family, Love and honor and prod at his belief about reclaiming his elven heritage. I could've really been a dick and had his cousin give him shit about being a half-elf but that might've been too much dickishness too soon.

I'm trying to overcome the shortcomings of play-by-post with back and forth conversations that are more like huge blocks of text from video games, rather than directly having a conversation via forum. What we've done so far would have probably taken an hour or so at the table, I reckon but at the table, the details would not have been so clear. I'm intrigued by the format and Rob and I are starting up a BE game.

Its a whole lot to read but I thought it might be interesting to some folks. Questions, comments, are welcome...
    Special Agent BWC517-MB108-BWR0077-BE000083-BWG000083

Githyanki Diaspora, my gaming blog

Nice one Judd. How did you deal with weredragon thing? Is it just colour? Is the character posted up somewhere?

Sanj
    I'm a GM, we show our love through bloody combats that challenge beliefs. That shit is like a hug. - Judd

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    You can see me blatantly hammer on his belief about Family, Love and honor and prod at his belief about reclaiming his elven heritage.
    The feature I've most liked from our game so far is clearly seeing how you go about doing this. In person I might've missed it in the back-n-forth, but here it's like, "Oh, there he goes pushing that button. So *that's* how you bring Beliefs into the game." Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Judd View Post
    I could've really been a dick and had his cousin give him shit about being a half-elf but that might've been too much dickishness too soon.
    I was actually expecting it, to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjwise View Post
    Nice one Judd. How did you deal with weredragon thing? Is it just colour? Is the character posted up somewhere?
    http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...m/song-dragons
    http://www.obsidianportal.com/campai...cters/nasharel

I haven't statted her up beyond this, though, not yet.

I reckon he'll burn her up and we'll give her a few traits and a special Dragon-song (that you need a special trait to sing) and that'll be that.

I like Daniel's tweak, making it a kind of dragonish elven lineage. With all the different arcane folks fucking in the Forgotten Realms, his explanation makes sense to me.

So, he'll burn her up based on her 4 elven LP's and then we'll do some Monsterish Burning together.

Here's a question you don't have to answer:

If he had made a big to-do about the angst it caused him to act against his cousin's wishes and had won a Duel of Wits to be full members of the adventuring company, would he have been eligible for a Moldbreaker? Or even if he didn't win the Duel, but just tried? Or was that too low stakes, too early? I know he got one anyway so it's moot.

I love how everything so far seems like Belief-bait. It's most educational, to this inexperienced Burning Wheel GM. Thank you for sharing.
    - Ben

Twitter

Ben, I have no idea. Its hard to take things out of the game like that and suss out what would have been.

Thanks, I'm glad you are digging it.

One week and some into the game and we've got two Duels of Wits, a dramatic resources roll and some other little ob 2 and 3 rolls to notice and find this or that.

Scripting seems to work really well on a forum. I'm pleased with that. I'm happy with Obsidian Portal but I wonder what it would be like if the forum software was MADE for the game. If, for instance, Daniel could hit a button to get an obstacle out of me and I could hit a button to place an ob on a roll. Or if we could both script and then the forum would unveil the scripts once we both had our volleys logged.

I'm kinda fascinated by this play-by-post thing.

I'm enjoying watching the story unfold. All of the characters are compelling. It's also neat to see the OOC discussions about mechanics alongside the story, almost like another narrative overlayed on top of the fiction.
    --James R.

Thanks, James. I'm flattered that anyone would read it and enjoy doing so other than me and Daniel.