Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zev Subodai, Warrior-Prince of Rimenacht

Default Zev Subodai, Warrior-Prince of Rimenacht

My approved character for my PbP game "A Frozen Requiem" GMed by Zelbinian.

Concept: Arrogant Elven Warrior-Prince

Character Name: Zev Subodai

Situation and Background: Zev and his brother Safed have been at each other's throats for centuries. Safed has never forgiven Zev for being the elder and thus the first in line for the Etharchy of Rimenacht, but Zev is just as determined to hold onto his birthright as Safed is keen to subvert it. Zev has fought in the frequent wars against the nearby orc clans, while Safed has used his time building influence and a following at court. Following a party at which he got Zev drunk and goaded him, Zev lost it and put one of Safed's closest allies in the infirmary for a week. The Winter King cut Zev out of the expedition to expulse the most recent orc incursion and put Safed in his place, dispatching Zev to Glacier's Edge, a border with the orcs that has seen no action in decades. Zev now prepares to lead a detachment to Glacier's Edge and seeks to minimize his brother's influence in his absence. The Winter King is notoriously difficult to read, but Zev's efforts may already be too late.

Lifepaths: Born Etharch -> Attendant -> Second -> (Lead to Protector Subsetting) -> Sword Singer -> (Lead to Etharch Setting) -> Prince -> (Lead to Protector Subsetting) -> Captain

Stats: Pe: G5, Wi: B4, Ag: B6, Sp: B6, Po: B4, Fo: B5, Stride: 8

Attributes: Re: B6, Ste: B6, He: B6, MW: B10, Grief: B5, Hesitation: 6 (3 for fear, death, or pain)
    Circles: B3
    Resources: B4 (Taxed Resources: B3)

Artha: 1 Fate, 1 Persona, 0 Deeds

PTGS: Su: B3, Li: B6, Mi: B7, Se: B8, Tr: B9, Mo: B10

Skills: Armor Training, Mounted Combat Training, Shield Training, Ballad of Rage B2, Bow B4, Brawling B4, Command B3, Elven Script G2, Etiquette B5, Lament of the Fallen B2, Observation G2, Oratory B5, Paean of Deeds B2, Riding B3, Silent Fury B3, Song of Bonding B2, Song of Burning Bright B2, Song of Lordship B2, Song of the Sword B3, Sword B6, Tactics B5, Voice of Ages B3

Traits: Calm Demeanor (C-O), Etharchal (dt), Fea (char), Fearless (dt), Lesson of One (dt), Prince of the Blood (dt), Sword of the White Tower (dt), Sworn to the Lord Protector (dt), Born Under the Silver Stars (char), Essence of the Earth (dt), Fair and Statuesque (char), First Born (dt), Grief (dt), Keen Sight (dt), Xenophobic (char), Friend to the Arctic (dt)

Gear: Elven Arms (sword, cavalry saber), RotM Bow, Elven Light Mail, Elven Steed ("Glory"), Elven Bread, Elven Clothes, Elven Finery, Traveling Gear, Spangenhelm (I believe this is the only 3D armor helmet so it would go with Light Mail, but this is to remind me about the +1 Ob Perception and Observation penalty), Buckler Shield (comes with armor, again), Starlight! (woo)
    Property: Apartment in the Citadel

Affiliations: 1D affiliation with the Elven Etharchs (nobles), 1D Affiliation with the Swords of the White Tower (sword singers)
    Reputations: 3D Reputation as the Winter King's Champion, 2D Reputation as the Sword-Singer Apprentice of the Winter King
    Relationships: The Winter King (father, immediate family, powerful), Safed Subodai (brother, rival, immediate family, significant), Miriel Subodai (sister, minor, immediate family)

Beliefs:
    1. I will find a chance for glory to outshine my brother's mission while I am in Glacier's Edge.
    2. I will turn my ragtag band into a disciplined team I'm proud to lead.
    3. I will bear any burden and pay any price to ensure that the Ice Throne will be mine.

Instincts:
    1. Never apologize.
    2. Always have my sword unsheathed when in dangerous areas.
    3. Always wear my finest armor and clothing. Appearance is everything.

I am editing this as play progresses and the character changes. Consider this a fluid post!

Also note that while he started play as sort of a bastard, he's already going differently than I expected (a little more bastardly, actually). Final destination: redemption or damnation? Should be a fun ride either way.
    Last edited by TiresiasBC; 04-26-2012 at 05:39 PM.
    - Ben

Twitter

Never apologize might just be my favorite instinct ever.

I want to take out my GM Paddle and hit that one right on the nose.
    Special Agent BWC517-MB108-BWR0077-BE000083-BWG000083

Githyanki Diaspora, my gaming blog

Yeah, I can't wait to get myself into horrific amounts of trouble! And then make things worse by drawing my sword when the area becomes dangerous!
    - Ben

Twitter

Oh man, Judd said what I wanted to say!

Sounds like you have a great game cooking there. Also, HOLY CRAP A 6-LP ELF!!!

Holy grayshades, Batman!

Dustin properly reined in my awesomeness with an exponent cap of 6. Without it I would have been unstoppable. And if I wanted to be an unstoppable force of nature, I'd play D&D. I want the nitty-gritty.

Edit: Not that anything's wrong with D&D. I'm still in two intermittent 4e games. Just, you know... now that I have tasted of the fruit, I can never return to the Garden.
    - Ben

Twitter

Ugh. I was hoping to go the whole game without apologizing, but Dustin hit me a good one. I haven't even lasted Chapter 1 and I apologized to some damn merchant.

I didn't even apologize to my grief-stricken, catatonic father, but I really wanted this Starlight without paying an arm, leg, or close family member.
    - Ben

Twitter

We finally finished Chapter 1 and left the citadel-city of Rimenacht the other day. I thought I would place my favorite post of Dustin's here. It's right from the beginning, showing he wasn't afraid to hit me where it hurt.

See, I wanted to start things off with a Duel of Wits with my father the Winter King to reduce my punishment. I figured any compromise would likely be better than the raw deal - exile - I was already getting.

And he was having none of it:

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin
    "The Winter King does not answer. His face remains emotionless, his gaze fixed and vacant. But the King does not remain silent out of choice. He is catatonic. His faculties are desperately trying to run away from the reality of the situation. He has given up hope.

You may not acknowledge it consciously, but you have always been perceptive - somewhere deep inside you must surely know that you are the cause for your fatherís grief.

(This is tantamount to betrayal. Please mark an Obstactle 8 test for Grief.)"
    Not only did I not get a chance to try out the Voice of Ages spell-song... I got an Ob 8 Grief test as the first test I ever marked, because I gave my father an Ob 10 Grief test!

Damn, that's cold.

So was not apologizing... but I didn't.

There were other great moments, but this is the one that wrenched me, reminding me I was on the other side of the proverbial GM's screen. It set the tone for everything that came after - we are not Keebler elves here. No sir.
    Last edited by TiresiasBC; 04-26-2012 at 05:23 PM.
    - Ben

Twitter

Why'd you take Grey Perception over a possible Grey Will?
    The thoughts and opinions reflected in my posts are not necessarily those of The Burning Wheel. If I am not quoting exact text and giving you a page for reference, please add "I BELIEVE" to the beginning of every single sentence I ever write ever.

Google+

I'll be honest - I originally burned him with a gray Will. With all the spell-songs and social skills going gray, it would be amazing!

But part of the dynamic I had worked out with Dustin was that Zev was the warrior, while Safed was the courtier. Zev being socially inept is part of how he let himself be manipulated into violence and thus exile in the first place. So my social ineptitude is baked in. My brother has a Gray Will; I have a Gray Perception.

From the standpoint of optimizing the character, yes, my Will should be gray, definitely.
    - Ben

Twitter

Perfectly respectable reasoning!

It's interesting to see that a 6LP elven warrior still come out with a grey mental stat.

Did you consider greying out his Agility or Speed? Even minus 5 pts from the pool, he'd have still been quite respectable stats-wise.
    The thoughts and opinions reflected in my posts are not necessarily those of The Burning Wheel. If I am not quoting exact text and giving you a page for reference, please add "I BELIEVE" to the beginning of every single sentence I ever write ever.

Google+