To satisfy my penchant for reducing things to manageable formulas, I started a bullet point list for pre- and post- session for BWG. Does this look about right? Also, do you think it would be helpful to have a formula for the session itself (ala Mouse Guard) or do you think this is handled by the Pre-Session? Any advice is appreciated. I'm mainly wondering about the sequence of the pre-session.
I'd break it down thusly.
1) Recap and review last session
2) Revise situation and introduce new twist if necessary.
— Give players a number of options for dealing with the situation
3) Review and modify PC Beliefs
— GM: How do I challenge the characteres in context of new situation?
— Players: How do I engage this new situation?
4) Declare action (What's happening now?):
• Last Time…resolve cliffhangers & unfinished actions
• Our Intrepid Adventurers Recently Discovered…recap last bit of action as prologue for coming session
• Meanwhile…if the group is split up, switch back and forth
• Later…if the game is stalled, narrate a jump in time & reframe action
• Award artha
- Log tests for advancement
• Record passage of time
• Log practice
• Trait & Reputation vote (every 6-12 sessions)
• Brainstorm next session (GM)
This is a first draft, I hope to come up with a final list that GMs can use for running sessions.