Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Champion

Default The Champion

The Champion

Upon the death of the 555th soldier in battle, The Champion is summoned.

Unseen, he searches for the weak, wounded, or dying and then possesses them. His one goal - slay the enemy. For with each soldier whom The Champion personally kills, his army in the underworld is increased.

The suddenly-invincible host becomes a great warrior and no longer feels the wounds caused by his foes. His presence emboldens his side to victory. What follows then is often a terrible slaughter of the routed enemy. No survivor can hide from The Champion’s sight. No quarter is ever given.

At the end of the battle, after the last clang of steel drifts silent, The Champion leaves his host willingly and returns to whence he came to begin the training of his new recruits. At that time the once-invulnerable host, eviscerated many times over during the battle, quickly dies on the field... a hero.

Some armies will make this sacrifice of life before the battle begins, hoping The Champion will be pleased and join their side. Some even willingly offer themselves as host in hopes of a legendary victory and glorious death upon the field, surely to be sung about for many years to come.

Beliefs:
    1) When my army reaches 55,555 souls strong, I will invade the world above and rule for eternity.
    2) I will join whichever side delivers me the 555th soul. They will know victory and I will take many, many souls along the way.
    3) The sacrifices make my work easier. I will send forth my minions to encourage the practice above and establish a cult in my name.

Instincts:
    1) Fight in Aggressive Stance.
    2) Rally my soldiers when they Hesitate.
    3) Shout out the tally as I kill! “32!” “4,451!” “55,554!!!!”

Traits:
    Called to the Field, Possessor, Incorporeal, Until Victory!, Aura of Fear, Commanding Aura, Immortal, Lawbreaker, Celestial Sight, Spirit Nature, Gift of Babel, The Tongue, Named, Resistant to Fire, Merciless, Tough as Nails

Stats:
    Will G6, Per G5, Agility G6, Speed G5, Power G5, Forte G5

Attributes:
    Health G5, Reflexes G5, MW G11, Steel G6

Skills:
    Aura Reading G5, Bargaining G6, Command G8, Conspicuous G6, Symbology G4, Demonology G4, Appropriate Weapons G7, Brawling G6, Shield Training, Armor Training, Crossbow G6 Bow G6, Tactics G7, War Engineer G, Intimidation G6

Gear:
    The Champion bears whatever gear his host was carrying at the time of possession.

Special Traits:
    Called to the Field
    When the death toll reaches 555, The Champion may appear on the field of battle. He will fight for the side that offered/caused the last death.

Incorporeal
    The Champion arrives without form and must seek a host before he can engage in the world.

Possessor
    The Champion has the ability to possess creatures of flesh. If there is a willing host, he will automatically possess such. If not, he will seek out the wounded, looking to take advantage of their weak state for easier possession. Once in control, the wounds previously suffered by host are ignored as his supernatural strength takes over.

Until Victory!
    The Champion remains on the field until every enemy at that particular battle is driven off or slaughtered (preferably the latter). At that time, he leaves his lacerated host and returns to the underworld.
    The thoughts and opinions reflected in my posts are not necessarily those of The Burning Wheel. If I am not quoting exact text and giving you a page for reference, please add "I BELIEVE" to the beginning of every single sentence I ever write ever.

Google+

I think I can easily get an entire campaign out of this guy!
    The thoughts and opinions reflected in my posts are not necessarily those of The Burning Wheel. If I am not quoting exact text and giving you a page for reference, please add "I BELIEVE" to the beginning of every single sentence I ever write ever.

Google+

For some reason, he reminds me of The Instrumentalities of the Night, by Glen Cook
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Kublai View Post
    I think I can easily get an entire campaign out of this guy!
    Me too, Pete! As I was reading I started copying it so that I could forward it to my friends here. So cool.

I thought it would be fun to incorporate this hook into a Romanesque setting at court. A new cult has infiltrated the military.

Sanj

PS: I think 666 would have been more metal though.
    Last edited by sanjwise; 03-08-2012 at 01:52 PM.
    I'm a GM, we show our love through bloody combats that challenge beliefs. That shit is like a hug. - Judd

That would be cool, methinks.

What I love about him is that he seems to be benign, something that might be worshiped by soldiers as a minor deity of war. He shows up, leads them to utter victory, then disappears without asking for thanks or reward! Shrines on battlefields are set in his honor. Slaves and Prisoners of War are gathered for sacrifice before a big battle. Soldiers willingly offering themselves to be his host.

But it's all leading to utter doom...

Google+

When he invades the upper world, will he be corporeal, or will he still need a host?
    -Mike

BTW, I totally made up the numbers.

I wonder how large the typical battle was back in the days of yore. How fast would those first 555 deaths arrive? Deaths, not wounded. I know the wounded numbers were ridiculously high, but outright death is rarer, right?

And how many could The Champion kill in a single battle? Would he achieve his goal in but a few large battles? That's not what I wanted.

I wanted this to be a centuries long burn. Perhaps his plan is known to some, so they send Paladins to each battle to ensure The Champion, if summoned, won't claim any souls at all?

It'd be great to play those Paladins, knowing that The Champion is but a few hundred souls away from success. What stakes!

Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Countercheck View Post
    When he invades the upper world, will he be corporeal, or will he still need a host?
    He would finally arrive in his True Form, which is pretty much a Greater Daemon* from the MonBu, but with the skills listed above, plus whatever physical traits were removed because of his incorporeality, such as Demon Skin, Iron Hide, Wings, etc.

I can imagine that last battle as he collects the final soul. His erupts from the skin of his host in all his Demonic Glory. From the ground around him, from the pools of blood of the fallen, erupts his army 55,555 strong, lashing out at both remaining sides. What a horror that would be!

*Yes, he basically levels up!

Google+

the demon's coming is part of a prophesy of doom.

two nations are on the brink of war. a cult of pacifist priest know what is coming and want to broker a peace. a spliter sect of this cult, paladins, believe that peace now is only pushing off the inevitable. they prepare for the demons coming.

Sanj
    I'm a GM, we show our love through bloody combats that challenge beliefs. That shit is like a hug. - Judd

Quote Originally Posted by Kublai View Post
    I wonder how large the typical battle was back in the days of yore.
    Extremely variable. Roman accounts of battles of tens of thousands all the way down to battles on the Marches which could consists of scores of individuals. Lots of accounts of high thousands, low tens of thousands: e.g. Henry invaded the continent with 12,000 men, and still had 8,000(?) with him at Agincourt.