Thread: Learning the Burning Wheel

Question Learning the Burning Wheel

Hi!

I just recently started reading my copy of Burning Wheel Revised edition and I am really fascinated by this game system and it seems to accomplish and simulate a lot of things I thought wasn't possible in an RPG!

However, I also have a feeling that it will be quite hard to implement all these intricate systems at the gaming table. The main reason for this is that the book feels a bit like an unfinished puzzle. Especially when it comes to the fight! and weapon mechanics. All the bits and pieces of the rules are spread out over several chapters with no concise overview available.

1. Does the Gold edition resolve this issue by providing rules that are more accessible?

2. Is there a beginners guide available somewhere which I can use for quick reference at the gaming table?

3. If I buy the Gold edition, is it compatible with the Adventure Burner, Magic Burner and Monster Burner?

Since I quite recently bought the Revised Edition it feels quite annoying to buy another book and throw my old ones away.

Thanks in advance!

Gold fixes some of the stuff, but still has a LOT of crunch.
    The best way to learn the system is through play, as some of it takes a while to grok.
    Start the demo scenarios, starting with The Sword, or if you can, find a local GM who knows how to play and ask for his help.

For the most part all the older books are compatible with one or two minor changes to lifepaths and Stats.
    The most significant changes in BWG were with the implementation of the conflict systems.

Don't worry about not really knowing the rules at the outset. Just get the basic stuff right, and implement the other systems as you can. And expect to screw up. It's OK if you do. Really.
    http://thesharedpen.blogspot.com
    The Shared Pen: An RPG Advice Blog, with a weekly advice column! Spread the word!

"Love. You can know all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as a turn in the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home."
    -Mal, Serenity

I've played BWR for years and it's a complete game, admittedly with a learning curve. Gold changes some things, like making positioning in Fight less confusing.

Stick with the hub in play and start adding the subsystems from the Rim when you're ready.

Edit: Oh, and the folks on this forum are always willing to help. Welcome to Burning Wheel!
    --James R.

Really, you don't teach the crunchy bits until you need them.

So, you start by teaching the basic task/intent and dice rolling, and artha. Then, in play, you add other crunch as needed. I've run mini-campaigns without ever breaking out fight, and I've NEVER used Range & Cover in play (only once in testing how it worked, outside real play). I use Duel of Wits a lot, tho'.

Thanks a lot for the answers!

I will try to not feel obliged to learn it all at once I suppose.

I find the combat maneuvers particularly confusing, especially the "countered by" part.

I would love it if someone could explain how charge works for example. It says "Countered By: Close, Maintain and Withdraw counts as Natural Defenses", however, Close Maintain and Withdraw aren't values, they are maneuvers. How does this work?

Since Charge is basically a Close maneuver with some extra effects, the other characters' positioning tests act as defense. If I script charge and you script a maintain, and you beat me in a versus test, my charge is ineffective since you're able to keep the relative distance between us the same.

Hi,

I've got a couple of things you might find useful for learning the game:

1) Quicksheet for core rules:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AQ...14ZGdjeA&hl=en

You can give this to the players and keep it out during the game - it's a great reference and teaching tool.

2) Beliefs 101

http://bankuei.wordpress.com/2011/09...l-beliefs-101/

Includes some default questions to build Beliefs on that works well for generating conflict and situation.

3) A Guide to BWR Fight! strategy

http://bankuei.wordpress.com/2010/04...ight-strategy/

This doesn't talk about the rules as much as how to use strategy given how the rules work.

Chris