Thread: Teaching MG - More Than Four?

Default Teaching MG - More Than Four?

I've got six ready-and-willing guardmice and I want to use pre-generated characters, but I've only got character sheets for Lieam, Kenzie, Saxon and Sadie. Does anyone else have any pre-generated characters from the comics? Celanawe maybe? Etc etc.

I'd love to be able to show everyone how to play at once before we make new characters.
    "save vs. death"

why not use other pre-gens besides those in the comics? the book and box-set supplement has a number of other pre-gens to select from. you could easily create a few additional pre-gens with about thirty minutes of work for each during a week.

When I've taught the game, I've followed a similar pattern of offering pre-gen characters to the players then teaching them to make a character later on. Most of the time I do it after the first winter session. That gives the group a chance to see how the mice grow and change over time, so they make a character with some ideas of growth in mind.

Running a group of six will necessarily provide them some added strength in helping dice and borrowed gear. It will reduce the pace of characters making growth.

In fact, I would recommend that you offer for most of the team to play Guardmouse ranked characters--only allow one to play a Patrol Leader or Patrol Guard as leader. I wouldn't consider letting someone play Celanawe; I'm not likely to let someone play Saxon, Kenzie, Sadie, or Leiam. I would create other pre-gens that can make a unique story with unique personalities.

Also, when making pre-gens, I do fill in the parents, artisan, mentor, friend and enemy as well as cloak color. I leave the BIG and Gear up to the player. I make sure to have 1-3 sentences to describe what I imainged when building the pre-gen. For most that has helped the player form a sense of who the mouse is and helped them settle into the group.
    Kenneth

Funny, I've got the exact same issue... I'm running a "Learn to Play Mouse Guard" session this weekend and am wishing there were downloads for ALL the pre-gens on this site, not just the "Core Four." No biggie, though. I'll get creative with Pages...

Six players will stretch the turn economy and conflict mechanics. Is it possible to do two groups of three?
    Daniel H.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel H. View Post
    Six players will stretch the turn economy and conflict mechanics. Is it possible to do two groups of three?
    It's just an introductory session, so I'm not too worried about the game getting bent out of shape. I'm familiar enough with the rules that I can manage. I know there'll be some player entropy before the actual game starts and we'll end up with four actual players.
    "save vs. death"

Good luck! Be sure to post back and let us know how it goes.

On the wiki, there are character sheets for the mice from the other sample missions:

http://www.burningwheel.org/wiki/ind...ample_Missions
    Daniel H.

Will do - this is a group of 4e / Pathfinder players who saw MG on Penny Arcade and got curious. When they heard I'd run it before, they asked me to teach them how to play. Pretty stoked.
    "save vs. death"

I highly recommend having everyone copy characters from the book onto blank sheets. It greatly enhances digestion of the rules.

We ended up only having 5 players, so we used Thom, Sloan, Baron, Kyle and Quentin. There's a little AP over here; http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/sh...sion-Flowchart
    "save vs. death"