Thread: Spirit binding - what can i do

Default Spirit binding - what can i do

Greetings,

i just got the MoBu, MaBu and AdBu and playing arround with it a bit. One concept that is interesting to me is a roden farmer-albino-spirit binder
    (field->farmer->woodsen->leads to exile albino)

I have a 4 in spirit binding, 3 in circination. I am sworn to the field(1D) and have "touched by the great harvest" (1D). Working carefully gives me 7 dice and maybe 1 more from a Ob1 circination test. Let's just say it's 8 dice i can use.

I have the second sight so there is no additional Ob. To summon a spirit of the field for the whole field gives me +1 Ob. I could probarly summon a strenght 3 or 4 spirit realiably without artha.

My goal is to summon the spirit and make him help me grow the field and gather the harvest. How many "tasks" do i get from this spirit? Do i just get 1D help for field work for the entire time according to the table or can i also make him to physical work?

Also i probarly should summon a Strengh 5 spirit to get 2D of help.

Can i bind spirits of money?

What kind of retribution do i have to anticipate?
    Last edited by Praion; 05-06-2012 at 01:48 AM.

On tha face of it, as a GM, I would say that you have two different intents. Grow and harvest. From what I recall, the spirits don't hang around like that. They help you and then they are done. You would need to roll a second time when the harvest needs to be brought in. It is a separate intent with a gulf of time in between. They probably need different skills. One a skill, the growing the field. Harvest probably requires a Forte test in order to work all day and part of the night to get the harvest in before it goes bad. I would say that the spirit helped in the planting or the sprouting. I would not say that it was present during the whole growing season. I don't think they have such an attention span.

The only way I would let it be a single roll would be if nothing of interest happening in between. It really depends on what is going on in your game.

There are spirits of the market place where you sell it. There are not spirits of knives or cash.

An act or retribution would be to have a crop later wither in the field from blight or plagues of insects. Rain falling at the crucial time of the harvest turning the fields to mud and making the harvest impossible. The retribution is a match and opposite of what the help was. So if you get the spirit to hurt someone, the spirit will later one come back to hurt you.
    Inspired by Bobo's Sig
    Rule 6 of Kurt Vonnegut's Rules on Short Stories
    Be a sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
    from Bagombo Snuff Box.

WOW, i just realised i can just take haunted or mark of the beast as a character trait for 1 trait point instead of having second sight be the only trait i can choose as a human/roden and i can save 3 TP. woho!