Thread: The dreams and ambitions thread

Default The dreams and ambitions thread

I have been trying to think of what I want to do for a long time.

I want to move to, and work in, New York City.

It's so far from home and the culture would take a lot of getting used to. I am unsure whether I'd carry on with managing construction accounts or whether I'd do something completely new for work... but I've got savings enough to be mobile. Plus my Dad moved over to california a while ago and got his green card last year.

I don't expect my problems that I have within myself to be fixed by a city but I do think that it would enable the lifestyle I want. Currently I'm trying to live out the cool things that I want to do and. But I'm alone for all of it. The friends that want to be with me do not have the means and those with the means do not share my interests.

I'm worried that I'm not bad enough dude to actually go for it and do it. But if I don't it might just be that thing I regret that I never tried to do.

What about the rest of you?
    - Guy

I'm always an advocate of change. That said, getting a work visa for the us can be a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Totally Guy View Post
    What about the rest of you?
    The part I mention is bigger than I let on. Not just for the RPG culture. The city has an infectious energy to it.

But as Anthony mentions, you need to expect to step it up with a push to make it happen some way or another. I just got my [probationary] permanent residence card (“Green Card”) but I’m Canadian (NAFTA makes it easier than average, all things equal) and it was all via the wife’s work which transferred her here (tech expertise + manager + full-ticket sponsor makes the line much shorter/cheaper). Certainly not insurmountable for you, I expect, but not something that can happen on a whim.

EDIT: I do have some other ‘dreams’. Some that aren’t being really being pursued actively such as the above one, and some that are. For example one project that has been ongoing for about 8 years takes another step at the end of this month. I am taking Gabriel to a tour of a local university to get him thinking about longer term of where he might want to head going forward. I guess that is a dream of someone else having and realizing their dream? Not an uncommon parent thing, but tricky territory.
    Last edited by Dwight; 05-07-2012 at 12:50 PM.
    .dwight